My work is an invitation to begin a visual dialogue with the viewer. To me painting is a form of language that gives shape to a space for contemplative engagement. It is meant to initiate an exchange with the viewer seeking a deeper examination of its content towards a renewed perception.
The imagery is abstract and reductive in nature – a play of line, space and sometimes color.
Munira Naqui was born in Chittagong, a small town on the coast of Bay of Bengal, which is now Bangladesh. She left Bangladesh in 1974 to attend Moscow State University where she studied Economics. She came to United States in 1982. Maine has been home to her since 1993. Munira attended the University of Pennsylvania and workshops and classes at Maine of College of Art Continuing Studies programs.
She has been painting all her life. The last 15 years have been dedicated to a full time painting practice. She uses encaustic a combination of beeswax and tree resin as her primary medium with oil and graphite on wood or aluminum panels.
She lives and works in Portland, Maine, USA.
. Drawing Collective - Paris 2016, Abstract Projects, Paris France
. Salon Realites Nouvelles 2015, Parc Floral, Paris France
. Fall Show 2015, Corey Daniels Gallery Kennebunk, Maine
. Summer Salon 2015. Icon Gallery Brunswick, Maine
. ...then and now 2015, Gallery at 21 Chestnut Street, Portland Maine
. Traces2015, Salon La Sevrienne des Arts, Rotunda dur Sel, Sevres France
. Biennial show 2014, Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport. Maine
. Salon Realites Nouvelles 2014, Parc Floral, Paris France
. Le long de la ligne 2014, ParisCONCRET, Paris, France
. Manic Episode IV 2013, Groningen, Netherlands
· Ekphrasis: Poems Speaking to Silent Works of Art 2013, The Art Gallery at Merrill Memorial Library, Yarmouth, Maine
· Create 2013, Maine College of Art, Portland, Maine
· Power of Ten 2012, Discover Portsmouth, New Hampshire
· Line and Space 2012, Gallerie at Beethovenstraat, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Curator: Lia Von Vugt
· Growth 2012, Providence Art Club, Providence, Rhode Island
· Union of Maine Visual Artists - Painting Invitational 2012, Aucocisco Galleries, Portland, Maine
· Cold Metal, Hot Wax 2011, Art at 12 Gallery Boston, MA, Juror: Zola Solamente, Arden Gallery Boston, MA
· Black and White 2011, River Arts Gallery, Damariscotta, Maine, Juror: Daniel Kany
· Five Easy Pieces 2011, Chi-Lin Gallery, Meredith, New Hampshire
· Best Foot Forward 2010, International Encaustic Conference, Beverly, MA
· Beginning 2010, Solo Show, Falmouth Memorial Library, Falmouth, Maine
· Working In Wax 2009, National Juried Exhibition, Bedford Gallery, Walnut Creek, CA